Daily Market UpdateJune 08, 2023
EUR/USD ranged from the low to mid 1.07’s overnight. The dollar fell slightly on Thursday from near three-month highs, a day after a surprise rate hike from the Bank of Canada suggested the Federal Reserve may also have more work to do to combat inflation.
The euro was last up 0.3% at $1.073 against the dollar – the most traded currency pair in global markets.
That was despite data showing that the euro zone economy slipped into a mild recession in the first quarter, after gross domestic product statistics were revised.
The dollar index, which measures the currency against six major peers, was down 0.19% to 103.84. Last week the index hit 104.7, the highest since March 15.
Yields on the U.S. 2-year Treasury rose after the Bank of Canada decision and hit 4.592% on Thursday before slipping back to 4.565%. Bond yields are key drivers of currencies, with higher rates typically attracting investment.
The Bank of Canada surprised traders by raising interest rates to 4.75%, a 22-year high. It followed a rate hike by the Reserve Bank of Australia on Tuesday.
“The view here was that if both Australia and Canada felt the need for further hikes, in all probability the Fed would too,” Chris Turner, head of markets at ING, said in a note to clients.
Against Canada’s dollar, the U.S. dollar was down 0.19% at C$1.335, after falling 0.24% on Wednesday.
The Australian dollar was up 0.43% at $0.668, taking its monthly gains to roughly 2.7%. Sterling was 0.21% higher at $1.247.
The Canadian decision put the spotlight back on the Federal Reserve, which sets interest rates on Wednesday next week.
According to derivative market pricing, traders currently think there’s a 70% chance the Fed will hold rates steady next week, and a 30% chance of a 25- bps increase.
They think the Fed could then raise rates by 25-bps in July, after policymakers hinted at a so-called skip. That would boost the Fed funds rate to a range of 5.25% to 5%.
The European Central Bank sets rates on Thursday and traders broadly expect a 25-bps hike, to be followed by another 25-bps increase in July, taking rates to 3.75%.
In Asia, the dollar was down 0.29% against Japan’s yen at 139.71 yen per dollar, after rising 0.37% the previous day.
The onshore and offshore yuan eased to their weakest in six months against the dollar, further pressured by economic worries.
Data released on Wednesday showed China’s exports shrank much faster than expected in May while imports extended declines, raising doubts about the country’s fragile economic recovery.
Meanwhile, the Turkish lira slipped to a record low of 23.39 per dollar in early Asia trading. It remained under pressure, last at 23.36.
Stay in the Know
Keep on top of your business financials with the Paymentearth Market ReportSee the Latest Market Update
Our Clients are Thrilled
We used to use three FX companies in order to keep the rate reasonable. With Paymentearth, they walked us through how to calculate the exact spread we get on every deal! A big time saver and a great way to do business!
My guy at Paymentearth took the time to explain how Forward Contracts work, and how they can help my business. My bank never gave me half the attention of Paymentearth.
Paymentearth makes uploading an excel file of all my monthly payments very easy! I upload it on their site and I’m able to print a confirmation in minutes! When we combine this with transparency and knowing our exact spread, it is a no brainer!
It’s not often that we need foreign cash, but it’s very convenient to order what we need from Paymentearth, and have one less thing to worry about before the trip.
There is a big move toward transparency in FX, but then it can be impossible to actually talk to a real person. With Paymentearth, they analyzed my business, gave me a fixed rate, and I can call them anytime. Frankly, they’re just straight-up, and I appreciate that.
Almost any bank can help get a wire out, if that’s all you need. Paymentearth goes above and beyond for us though, and for a small business like ours, it makes a big difference to get such expert service. Of course, the rates are good too!
In my experience, banks are only willing to bend over backward if you’re a giant company. I’ve never felt that with Paymentearth. These guys are upfront, they’re knowledgeable, and they genuinely seem to value my business. It’s actually a pretty good feeling.